I am again (still) redesigning the web site to allow pages to load faster and not look as cluttered with all of the information I’m providing. This will hopefully provide a much nicer user experience when it comes to finding the information you are looking for. To that end, I am focusing on 2 areas at the moment and thought you would like a heads up as pages will be changing over the next few months.
1) I am rolling out a new social toolbar that you can see at the bottom of every page on the site. This toolbar will have the following buttons:
- Select Language: You can change the language on the fly.
- Share: Easily share the page to any social network, email it, print it, etc.
- Google +1: This is the equivalent of a Facebook like button.
- Tweet: You can tweet a comment about this page and a link on Twitter.
- Pin It! on Pinterest: This will post images of your choice from the current page to your Pinterest account.
- Facebook Like: This button will post to Facebook that you like/recommend this page.
- Online: Shows how many users are online, the pages they are on, and where they are in the world.
- Join Chat: You can now have a live chat with your friends on any of the following social networks: Facebook, Twitter, myspace, and Yahoo. The best part is you never have to leave AirportGuide.com.
2) The redesigned airport page, though pretty is loading so much information that it can take up to 15 seconds for a page to load. This is unacceptable. I am going to keep the same tabbed look but will be doing a ground-up redesign to load those pages within a couple of seconds. I think you will really like it when you see it.
That’s it for now and as always, I’m always open to suggestions on how to improve the site.
New Social Toolbar and the Continued Redesign